Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Empty Promises Book Review

 
     I recently read Empty Promises: The Truth About You, Your Desires, and the Lies You're Believing by Pete Wilson.  This book was sent to me for free by Booksneeze.com to review.  Although this is a book meant to change your Christian life, it also made me think about myself as a teacher.  The book is set up in chapters about things that you believe make you truly happy.  For example, one chapter is about being addicted to approval. I'm pretty sure most teachers want approval from someone and often times we don't get it.  We want our principal to approve of our lessons when he/she comes in to observe, we want parents to approve of our teaching methods and we want our students to accept us as caring teachers.  Not that there is anything wrong with seeking approval but this book really made me question why it is I strive for approval and acceptance from others. 
     The main take away I left with after reading this book is that God is the only person who leave you feeling full.  Looking for happiness through power, approval, achievement, money or beauty won't leave you with the same fullness as God can leave you with.  Searching for empty promises really only makes you tired and always longing for something more.
    I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a good Christian read before school starts back.  It will make you remember the real reason you chose to become a teacher because I doubt it was for the money, the approval of others or any other empty promise.

I review for BookSneeze®

No comments:

Post a Comment

#navbar-iframe { visibility:hidden; height:0px; display:none; }